Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Mentoring Relationships

Poster for Harvard's youth mentoring campaign.Image via Wikipedia

In a recent article in Entrepreneur magazine, Ivan Misner wrote a an article entitled, "Become a Networking Mentor." Misner encourages the practice of mentoring and specifically suggests sharing networking strategies "...you've found successful" with others. He reiterates that teaching others is one of the most effective strategies for mastering a skill.

Then, he lists the "7 Characteristics of a Good Mentor," courtesy of Michael J. Freeman. Here they are:

  1. A desire to help. Individuals who are interested in and willing to help others.
  2. Have had positive experiences. Those who have had positive formal or informal experiences with a mentor tend to be good mentors themselves.
  3. Good reputation for developing others. Experienced people who have a good reputation for helping others develop their skills.
  4. Time and energy. People who have the time and mental energy to devote to the relationship.
  5. Up-to-date knowledge. Those who have maintained current, up-to-date technological knowledge and/or skills.
  6. Learning attitude. Individuals who are still willing and able to learn and who see the potential benefits of a mentoring relationship.
  7. Demonstrated effective managerial (mentoring) skills. People who have demonstrated effective coaching, counseling, facilitating and networking skills.
One of the characteristics that I see missing in talented people who could otherwise be a great mentor, is #4 -- "Time and Energy." It's not that they don't have the time or energy. Unfortunately, they choose to spend their time/energy on other pursuits. Developing mentoring relationships seems to be a low priority. As a young leader, I can remember pursuing a mentoring relationship with multiple, older, more seasoned leaders. One politely declined and passed me on to another member of his staff ("It's not really my gifting...") and the rest enthusiastically responded with an emphatic "YES -- let's do this!" Sadly, the relationships fizzled soon after beginning because of missed appointments, appointments cut short, cell phones ringing during meetings, and a general lack of commitment.

Based on the 7 qualities listed above, do you see yourself as a mentor? Have you benefited from a relationship with somebody who meets these qualifications? Which characteristics do you see as most critical? How can we make mentoring a priority?
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

5 comments:

  1. Based on the 7 qualities, I have to rate myself low on #2 & #3. This is not necessarily because of anything negative, just lack of experience, and maturity. I have been a mentor with Mentor Iowa for over a year and before I made that commitment I had to be very honest about the giving of my time. I knew that a 6 year old boy could not be ignored or activities cancelled because I get too busy. I often tell students and peers that I work with to be very honest in your capabilities, do not over extend yourself, and set realistic goals. This is not only good for others but for your own sense of accomplishment. If I commit to 100 widgets a day and can only realistically produce 80 on average I will get discouraged and eventually give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, we might want to add "honesty/integrity" to the list? The issue you wanted to avoid as you evaluated whether or not you could commit to the time required to your mentoring is critical. I believe it's the reason for many of the failed attempts by others to provide mentoring for me when I was seeking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think honesty/integrity would be key qualities (maybe they were just assumed.) Over the past year I have been able to meet very consistently with my mentee every week and occasionally every other week. This is important in this boy’s life for sure, not having a father or strong male in his everyday life. I knew before I ever met the boy that I was able to make these meetings every week. I personally have asked a strong, gifted male to meet with me every week to mentor me. I believe in him and trust him and also now get to work along side of him, so I can watch and learn from him… very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like this mentoring thing just might work, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete