Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Psychology of Stress

Stress Management SystemImage by ©aius via Flickr

The Psychology of Stress - Entrepreneur.com

"Workers are losing their jobs, employers are losing their businesses, and as credit becomes more and more scarce, everyone is losing confidence. What's more, entrepreneurs are grappling with a sense that they've lost control of critical factors that could determine their futures. Those psychological hurdles are perhaps the biggest challenges facing today's business owners..."
As a leader, do you really understand the weight that comes with title and position? The article I've linked to above talks about the psychology of stress. Here are some interesting statements from the article:

Problems
  • So many of the factors contributing to excessive stress "have nothing to do with you."
  • "Cognitive Distortion" causes people under "...undue stress to discount positive events, seeing only the negative."
  • "When people define themselves by their business, they might conclude, 'If my business isn't doing well, then I'm not doing well.'"
  • "Stress was getting to the point where I sometimes felt physically ill."
Article's Solutions
  • Take control of what you can.
  • THINK straight. Write your way through fear to help you identify thoughts that aren't serving you. Stay focused on the big picture.
  • EXERCISE regularly.
  • Look for OPPORTUNITIES and keep moving forward. There's a clearing up ahead.
Warren's random responses to the article:

In regards to "personal control," it's important to do all we can. However, the author states, "a sense of personal control -- the belief that you set your destiny -- is one of several characteristics shared by happy people." So what if YOU screw up? What if YOUR efforts aren't good enough? Rick Warren begins his bestseller, "The Purpose Driven Life," with the statement, "It's not about YOU." Instead of focusing on gaining "personal control," I'd recommend YIELDING control of your life, your future, your career, and everything else to HIM. Giving up my desire to control things is the foundational step to true happiness and contentment.

Thinking straight is mandatory and difficult to maintain. The article recommended writing as a means of sorting out "stinking thinking" from solid, productive thinking. I agree. In addition to a small group of committed friends, advisors, and family that can help me keep things straight, a great plumb line to help me keep things straight is God's Word. It's hard to get too far off in left field if I'm continually comparing my thoughts to eternal truth. However, whenever I run across a disparity between God's Word and my thoughts, I need to change my thoughts and not attempt to twist Scripture to affirm my patterns.

If my identity is wrapped up in anything related to my performance, I'm headed toward burnout. Even a world class athlete like Tiger Woods has some off days. What's great about life as a follower of Christ is that my identity is based on Who HE is and what HE'S done on my behalf. The good things I do that flow out of my relationship with Him are evidence He is in control. My failures are evidence I'm not perfect, but they don't change who I am.

A closing thought: 45 minutes of aerobic exercise at the prescribed heart rate for my age doesn't affect my salvation or personal worth. BUT, it sure does feel good and my doctor's tests prove it contributes to my health & energy.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. Quote from Warren,“If my identity is wrapped up in anything related to my performance, I'm headed toward burnout… What's great about life as a follower of Christ is that my identity is based on Who HE is and what HE'S done on my behalf… My failures are evidence I'm not perfect, but they don't change who I am.”

    I work with men coming from addictive lifestyles, most have had rough lives with little structure, discipline or love. They are slow to trust especially in a discipleship setting where most are angry with God or have never had a relationship with Him and we are asking them not only to trust us but God with their lives. I have found that I am under a microscope as these men are watching my every move and usually every mistake. Some are quick to judge and in their hurt and anger they can quickly set bitterness in their hearts. I HAVE to rely on Christ and who I am in Him. I can very easily allow my identity to be based on my failures and what others say about me in regards to my performance. My identity is in Him and I need grace from my peers, big time!

    ReplyDelete